Why Azuregale Bay is My New Home - Why Azuregale Bay is My New Home Because fish, and ancient mana! Barracuda fish schools usually around 20g each, currently up to 60g each due to raid food ...
Maximizing Profession Profit In Patch 5.4
Kaliope recently wrote about the mechanics of Leatherworking cooldowns on the Patch 5.4 Public Test Realm. Based on their observations it seems the act of daily cooldowns teaching new PVP and PVE recipied will continue in 5.4.
I just wanted to give a few tips to people looking to make gold from these recipes. Head past the jump for my advice.
What We Know
As I mentioned in my previous post (and what Kaliope seems to have confirmed at lease for Leatherworking) is that Blizzard will use the same learn-a-recipe-every-day-from-a-daily-cooldown mechanism for Patch 5.4.
If you've been making gold with Crafted Dreadful Tailoring, Blacksmithing and Leatherworking PVP items in Patch 5.3 you will likely be familiar with the routine of doing a daily cooldown, learning a pattern and (possibly) making that item to sell.
I believe the reason Blizzard designed it this way was to keep all of us crafters logging into the game day-in and day-out. I know my Leatherworker has leaned over 50 Crafted Dreadful PVP patterns and still isn't done.
That is at least 50+ days of daily cooldowns and counting. Nearly 2 months of doing a cooldown each day and still not being finished.
Where to Obtain Them?
While things are still up in the air as to where to obtain these cooldown recipes Kaliope let us know that the Leatherworking cooldown recipe was a drop from random Mists of Pandaria mobs. This is the same way the new Leatherworking recipes were obtained in 5.3.
Update: Commenter myroom2yours posted "Confirmed that the patterns for Leatherworking, Tailoring, and Engineering are all acquired from random mobs in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. I have 600 level profs in all 3 of those categories prior to killing mobs in the ptr." Thanks!
Update 2: A reader emailed us the following updated info: "Also the Leatherworking and Tailoring profs have the same 'discover a recipe' procs with each daily cd. I have learned the new PvP items and there are PvE raid worthy items also that I have learned. however the PVE are BOP!!!!! no sale profits from those in the future."
What We Learned
Putting all conspiracy theories about Blizzard coercing us to stay subscribed aside we did learn a few key things about these markets as we've been working them day-to-day over the last few months. The following relates exclusively to the PVP gear sets (Crafted Dreadful in the case of patch 5.3)
- Cloth PVP items got flooded earliest due to the cooldown being automatically learned. The price dropped the earliest.
- Leatherworking PVP items had the most expensive materials and also the most patterns to learn.
- Once Leatherworking PVP item prices dropped below mat cost they never recovered.
- The Blacksmithing cooldown was the hardest to obtain (obtained on Isle of Thunder after stage 4 was completed by the realm) and has also maintained the highest profit.
- The new "Crafted Malevolent" items appear to be item level 476 epics.
What You Should Know
My advice for anyone looking to sell the new crafted PVP items in the next patch:
- Obtain the cooldown recipes as soon as possible.
- Do your cooldowns every day early in the patch.
- Make and sell items you learn as soon as possible. Your competition is doing the same.
- Items sold early in a patch can command a high price because you will likely be the only one selling any one particular item while people learn the patterns.
- Stock up on materials ahead of time that will allow you to your daily cooldowns as well as craft the items to sell.
What You'll Need
While things on the PTR are subject to change it would appear that you will need the following items to do the various cooldowns in Patch 5.4. (For more detailed info see Patch 5.4 PTR Profession Notes - New Cooldowns & PVP Items).
Blacksmiths will reportedly make an item called Balanced Trillium Ingot that will require (1) Trillium Bar to craft. Trillium can be obtained from smelting a combination of (2) Black Trillium Ore and (2) White Trillium Ore. It can also be transmuted by an Alchemist from (10) Ghost Iron Bars.
In my own experience purchasing Black and While Trillium ore has often been the cheapest way to stock up on Trillium Bars.
As for what crafting mats will be the Crafted Malevolent items appear to be crafted from (12), (15), and (20) Ghost Iron Bars.
A decent stockpile of Ghost Iron Bars isn't a bad idea to pick up if you can find them at decent prices.
The new Leatherworking cooldown appears to be Hardened Magnificent Hide which requires (2) Magnificent Hide to create.
(One special note mentioned by Kaliope is that on the current PTR the Hardened Magnificent Hide recipe shares a cooldown with the current Magnificence of Scales and Magnificence of Leather cooldowns which is currently one of the only way to obtain Magnificent Hides.
Hopefully this will be changed. Otherwise Magnificent Hides will be very hard to come by essentially only allowing someone wanting to make their own mats to do Hardened Magnificent Hide once every three days - two days to create the Magnificent Hides and one to create the Hardened Magnificent Hide.)
I am stockpiling the Magnificent Hides I am currently creating on a daily basis. My server's current Crafted Dreadful Leatherworking market is unprofitable. At the moment stockpiling is a better way to go.
The new Crafted Malevolent Leatherworking items seem to take (2) and (3) Magnificent Hide to craft. This is up from (1) and (2) for the current Crafted Dreadful items.
Magnificent Hide is the most important material if your wanting to not only learn the new Leatherworking PVP patterns but also to craft them. Unless something changes I don't thing you can have too many of these before Patch 5.4.
Tailoring will likely have the new daily cooldown where they create Celestial Cloth. It will most likely cost (10) Bolt of Windwool Cloth.
The new Crafted Malevolent items will cost (6), (7) and (8) Bolt of Windwool Cloth to create.
In my experience there hasn't been any noticeable shortage of cheap Windwool Cloth on the auction house. Whenever I've needed it it's been there (most times for under 2g per Windwool Cloth).
This isn't to say that stockpiling cheap Windwool (preferably as Bolts to save room) is a bad idea. By stockpiling you can hedge against any price increase that may come as more Tailors start doing their cooldowns again in 5.4.
The Tailoring Crafted Dreadful market was the most (and most easily) flooded Crafted Dreadful market of all. The barrier to entry was very low and this lead to a less-than-favorable market.
I was able to make some decent gold early on in the patch when I was the only one selling some of these items as my competition and myself were all first learning the recipes.
What have we learned from all of our experience? The most important advice we can give is that the first few days (maybe weeks) of the patch will be when you'll be able to command the highest prices for your Crafted Malevolent items.
You may be the only player on your whole server/faction that will be selling the item. As more players learn more patterns that exclusivity advantage will disappear.
The second is to stockpile (a bit). I'm most worried about having enough Magnificent Hides. Trillium Bars and Ghost Iron Bars are my second most important set of materials.
I've been making some very good gold in the Crafted Dreadful Blacksmithing market and I want to have all the crafting materials (in this case Ghost Iron Bars) I need to continue that trend.
Be ready for Patch 5.4 with all the mats you need to learn, make and sell Crafted Malevolent items and you could see some nice profits early on in Patch 5.4.
Like this post? Get even more Power Word: Gold - Purchase our 75-Page Mists of Pandaria Gold Guide, subscribe via RSS, subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes or RSS, watch our Livestreams, follow us on Twitter, Circle us on Google+, Like us on Facebook, subscribe via Youtube and join us on reddit.
Buy The Power Word: Gold Guide Volume I: Addons (With TradeSkillMaster Info.)
Today's guest post was written by Ohnekase from the gold-making blog Meet Ohnekase . You can also follow them on twitter at @WowOhn...
We've heard plenty of circumstantial evidence of rampant "duping" (duplication) of items in recent months. We've heard ...
In preparation for the launch of Legion I've been working on a project to build the character I'm planning to give my free level ...
With the recent news that Activision Blizzard is buying back a controlling interest from Vivendi it was also made known that the curr...
Episode 100 of The Power Word: Gold Podcast. We bring you the latest World of Warcraft gold-making tips, tricks and strategies. In...
We've created a tool for creating importable TradeSkillMaster (TSM) groups from almost any webpage that includes links to World of...
Gold-Making Blog Roll
- December (15)
- November (14)
- October (3)
- August (2)
- July (9)
- June (1)
- April (6)
- March (16)
- February (15)
- January (10)
- December (11)
- November (11)
- October (14)
- September (10)
- August (13)
- Episode 069 - The Power Word: Gold Podcast
- TradeSkillMaster 2.0 Basic How To Videos
- The Kill Sprocket Podcast - Episode 002 [Link]
- WoW Gold-Making! #0324
- The Chronicle - July 27, 2013 [Link]
- Chronicle Special Edition: World of Warcraft Subsc...
- World of Warcraft Subscribers 2005-2013 (and Beyon...
- WoW Gold-Making! #0323
- Item Level Jumps - Why Flipping Items Sell
- Episode 068 - The Power Word: Gold Podcast
- Steam Community Market - Selling Strategies & Pric...
- Now That's Not Something You See Every Day
- The Chronicle for July 20, 2013 [Link]
- Quickly Remove Items From TradeSkillMaster Groups
- Do Suffixes Matter When Selling Flipping Items?
- Where To Find Korda Torros & Forager's Gloves
- July 15 Chronicle & June 28 Livestream [Link]
- Episode 067 - The Power Word: Gold Podcast
- TradeSkillMaster 2.0 Beta Exploration Part 3
- What Is A "Good" Gold-Maker?
- Warcraft As A Free-To-Play Game - Part 2: The Free...
- Episode 006 - The Tram Rats Podcast [Link]
- WoW Gold-Making Livestream 6.26.13
- WoW Gold-Making News - July 8, 2013 [Link]
- Episode 066 - The Power Word: Gold Podcast
- TradeSkillMaster 2.0 Beta Exploration - Part 2
- Maximizing Profession Profit In Patch 5.4
- WoW Gold-Making Livestream! 6.18.13
- Group Quest #122: Powering up Jim [Link]
- Gold-Making Livestream! (2.3 Million Gold+) 6.14.1...
- June (22)
- May (26)
- April (32)
- March (17)
- February (18)
- January (23)
- December (19)
- November (2)
- October (11)
- September (13)
- August (13)
- July (14)
- June (14)
- May (11)
- April (13)
- March (12)
- February (17)
- January (11)
- Battle Pets
- Warlords of Draenor