One of the most common questions people as me in my livestreams is "What do you spend all that gold on?".
While it seems they envision someone buying Spectral Tigers or spending gold-cap on Mimiron's Head from the Black Market Auction house the reality is much less glamorous.
Has past the jump for what I actually spend my gold on.
Mats, Mats and More Mats
Below (in no particular order) are the items I find myself regularly spending gold on these days.
- Black Trillium Ore and White Trillium Ore - I buy both for under 15g a piece. I smelt Trillium Bars for daily Living Steel transmutes on my 4 transmute specced Alchemists. I also sell the Trillium Bars themselves if the price is right.
- Windwool Cloth - I buy this to keep my two Tailors full of Bolts of Windwool Cloth to do daily Imperial Silk cooldowns as well as crafting and selling Crafted Dreadful cloth items.
- Savage Leather - Similar to Windwool cloth I buy this to do my daily Magnificence of Leather cooldown.
- Magnificent Hide - I will sometimes buy these from the auction house when there are gaps in the leather and mail Crafted Dreadful market that would be profitable to fill.
- Ghost Iron Ore - I've been farming most of my own Ghost Iron Ore but if I run out I will buy it from the auction house. I use it mostly for daily Blacksmithing Lightning Steel Ingot cooldowns, Crafted Dreadful plated items to sell and prospecting for gems.
- 77-79 Cataclysm and 83-84 Mists of Pandaria items. These are my major markets and I need to keep the market clear of cheap items as well as continuing to build my inventory.
- Assorted transmog and other flippable items - I find these with the WoWuction and The Undermine Journal deal pages. (See Using TradeSkillMaster And WoWuction To Quickly Find Bargains.)
A Slow Inevitable March
Each gold-maker is unique and each of us has found different ways to make gold tht work for us. For me (at least at this moment) this is what I spend my gold on day-in and day-out.
No expensive mounts (I'm not a mount collector). No risky flips (I don't like have multiple thousands of gold tied up in individual items). No huge market resets (I only reset a few items at a time if that).
Just a slow and steady stream of income derived from low-risk investments done on a consistent basis.
Like this post? Get even more Power Word: Gold - Purchase our 100-Page Illustrated Gold Guide, subscribe via RSS, subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes or RSS, watch our Livestreams, follow us on Twitter, Circle us on Google+, Like us on Facebook, subscribe via Youtube and join us on reddit.