PGB Week 2 - Project Golden Bull (or PBG) began on May 5th, 2016. The main purpose of PBG is to force myself to learn how to make gold on a new server and without my ...
Selling Glyphs Scares The Hell Out Of Me
There was a time back in Wrath of the Lich King when selling glyphs was my number one source of gold. Now it's a market I cringe away from. Why?
What has changed over the years to turn something I loved into something that scares me to inaction? Read on past the jump to find out.
To The Entrenched
I want to start out this post with this disclaimer: If you are currently making good amounts of gold in the glyph market then this post isn't aimed at you.
You've fought your way to the top of the heap of bloodied bodies of your glyph competitors and you are in a position to reap the rewards of your (likely) hard-fought success.
This post is from the perspective of those of us either in the pile of carcasses and dashed hopes for profiting from glyphs or new-comers looking to start the ascent up the pile in search of riches.
If you have no problems making gold from glyphs we don't need to hear you say "I don't have any problems making gold from glyphs.". We all know *somebody* is making gold from glyphs on our servers. Those people just don't happen to be us.
Trouble In Paradise
In Episode 60 of The Power Word: Gold Podcast I mentioned the WoWuction Global Top Professions tab. I did so in reference to the oft asked question "What is the best gold-making profession in the game?".
|WoWuction Top US Professions. Source.|
The fact that globally Inscription is the top profession in gold volume belies the fact that in almost all cases the glyph market is very very difficult to break in to.
A new player seeing the above chart would assume that leveling Inscription would be a natural way to make large amounts gold in the game and they would be write but with a few huge caveats.
Why Selling Glyphs Is A Pain In The Ass
Below are a few of the aspects of selling glyphs that a new-comer may not initially be aware of:
- You will be undercut multiple times a day, sometimes withing an hour, sometimes immediately.
- If you're not cancelling and reposting often almost none of your glyphs will sell.
- There are entrenched glyph sellers what will pull every trick in the book to force you out of the market.
- You can spend lots of time, materials and gold and end up with nearly zero profit.
- You are susceptible to people (often pissed off by the stress of
sellingtrying to sell glyphs) crashing the prices in glyph markets on a whim.
- Effective selling of glyphs requires large amounts of storage, crafting time and often an alt devoted specifically to the task.
- Once you are entrenched in selling glyphs you have to constantly defend your "turf" from competitors new and old.
- Glyphs can be one of the most complicated gold-making markets requiring knowledge of how to set up and utilize complex addons to run the market effectively.
The Good News
The benefits of clawing your way to the top of the glyph-selling fracas are the following:
- You stand to make a large amount of gold selling glyphs.
- You get the joy of putting the boot to the face of any up-and-coming glyph competitors who may become a threat to you.
Is All Hope Lost?
The lists above paints a pretty grim picture for anyone wanting to get into the glyph market. I wish it wasn't true but it is. I speak from experience.
I think it is safe to say that the glyph markets have become "a young man's game".
In this case the "young man" is someone who has more time, more energy, more tenacity, more ferocity, more stubbornness, more focus and more determination than I do.
All hope is not lost. Obviously someone has to fill the roll of the glyph seller on your server and faction. The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to gird your loins for the long fight.
If so than the glyph market may be the market you've been looking for. It seems to satisfy a few really dedicated players on each server and faction.
As for this "old man" I simply moved on to greener pastures (just like my glyph competitors likely wanted me to).
Like this post? Get even more Power Word: Gold - Purchase our 100-Page Illustrated Gold Guide, subscribe via RSS, subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes or RSS, watch our Livestreams, follow us on Twitter, Circle us on Google+, Like us on Facebook, subscribe via Youtube and join us on reddit.
Buy The Power Word: Gold Guide Volume I: Addons (With TradeSkillMaster Info.)
With the recent news that Activision Blizzard is buying back a controlling interest from Vivendi it was also made known that the curr...
Today's guest post was written by Ohnekase from the gold-making blog Meet Ohnekase . You can also follow them on twitter at @WowOhn...
I decided to have some fun with the exported data you can get from the Resources > Data Export page on WoWuction ( example page ). ...
(Today's guest post was written by Animadnb. If you would like your gold-making guest post featured on Power Word: Gold please submit...
TradeSkillMaster Custom Pricing Sources can be a bit complicated so today I thought I would share a few of my favorites as well as expla...
Gold-Making Blog Roll
- December (15)
- November (14)
- October (3)
- August (2)
- July (9)
- June (1)
- April (6)
- March (16)
- February (15)
- January (10)
- December (11)
- November (11)
- October (14)
- September (10)
- August (13)
- July (30)
- June (22)
- May (26)
- Guest Spot On The Happy Hour Roundtable Podcast Ep...
- Cooldowns. Cooldowns. So Many Cooldowns.
- The Psychological Effects Of Gathering
- How Normal Players Like To Make Gold
- Transferring? How To Choose A New Server For Gold-...
- A Little Farming Never Hurt Anyone
- Selling Glyphs Scares The Hell Out Of Me
- Ultimate Gathering Addon Mega Mix
- Episode 060 - The Power Word: Gold Podcast
- I'm Definitely Cognizant Of Your Criticisms
- Item Hoarding [Link]
- Is That Really Worth 4000 Gold?
- Using TradeSkillMaster and WoWuction To Quickly Fi...
- Hunter vs Pandaria! #020 Kun-Lai Summit
- Gold-Making With Friends
- 77-80 Cata Item Market To Become 77-79 in 5.3
- Episode 059 - The Power Word: Gold Podcast
- Reporting/Stopping In-Game Calendar Spammers
- Proof vs. Evidence [Link]
- Pulling 14K From The Mailbox
- Blissfully Unaware [Link]
- Titan's Grip Polearm And Staff Transmog In 5.4?
- Calculate Approximate Black Market Auction House P...
- Proof Of Jeweled Onyx Panther Duping And Its Effec...
- The Case Of The Mysteriously Quite Crowd
- Making Gold With Blacksmithing: Hardened Obsidium ...
- Everything Is On The Table (Except The Cat)
- A Tiny Tiny Blacksmith In A Big Big World
- Down To The River. Down To The Silken Fields.
- Episode 058 - The Power Word: Gold Podcast
- Kitty Is Not Impressed With My Gold-Making
- Power Word: Gold To Be Made Into A Video Game
- March (17)
- February (18)
- January (23)
- December (19)
- November (2)
- October (11)
- September (13)
- August (13)
- July (14)
- June (14)
- May (11)
- April (13)
- March (12)
- February (17)
- January (11)
- Battle Pets
- Warlords of Draenor