Computer Trouble - I shut my computer down around 10 AM on Wednesday, like I always do when I don’t plan on using it for several hours. Spent some time at my Mom’s house wi...
Going Into "Low Power" Mode for 2 Months
I've decided that I would be best if I turned the heat down on some of the things I've had cooking at a roaring boil for the last 6 months or so here at Power Word: Gold. "Real-life" concerns as well as I general feeling of "working hard and not getting anywhere" have lead me to the conclusion that it's time to refactor and refocus.
If you've been a long-time reader/follower of Power Word: Gold you'll know that I have entered these "low power" modes before. For the most part, they are a way for me to relax and re-evaluate all the things I ve been doing as far as Power Word: Gold goes. In this case I have some real "real life" things that have, sadly, been neglected in my push to make Power Word: Gold into a real business. Head past the jump and get details on what you can expect from PW:G in the next two months.
All About The Benjamins
As I stated at the beginning of the year, I'm trying this year to make Power Word: Gold into a profitable real-life endeavor. As anyone who has ever tried to start a new venture will tell you, it can be very trying on all concerned, including friends and family. While those around me have been extremely supportive of my efforts, what I am able to bring in with my current efforts is just falling short on too many levels.
I believe I am talented, and I have a wonderful following of people who look to me for tips, tricks and advice on gold-making. For that I am very very grateful. If I could live in a cardboard box under and overpass and continue to give out all the advice I could I would. Unfortunately, we don't live in Azeroth and we can't pay our real-life bills with WoW gold.
I still believe I can make a good amount of real-life money doing what I've been doing, but it will just take a slow and steady grind to get there. You have to build these types of things with extreme care, often over long periods of time.
Have Group, Will Travel
The next few months also may see me traveling a lot more than normal. These types of trips will make it more difficult to maintain the pace that I've been struggling to maintain over the last 6 months or so. The trips are all very important though, and I need my focus to be on things outside the game in order for them to be successful.
A good majority of the trips will revolve around me trying to acquire real-world money. It would be great if there were enough generous people who watched/read/listened to Power Word: Gold to allow me to not have to worry about real-life concerns, and I'm grateful to all those those have purchased our guide and contributed so generously, sadly at the moment it just isn't enough (at least not yet). I've failed so far to find the right ways to monetize the blog properly.
What Will Stay?
During the next two months (starting tomorrow March, 15, 2012 until May 15, 2012) the following things should still continue (perhaps with certain modifications):
- The Power Word: Gold blog will continue to have new posts. I'm hoping to get a few out each week.
- The Power Word: Gold Podcast. I hope to at least get a few episodes out during the next few months but releases will come as I have time.
- Twitter. I will strive to maintain contact with those on twitter. It is one of the most useful tools we have.
- Email. While I will be answering a lot less email over the next few months, I'll strive to answer all I can.
- Livestreaming at twitch.tv/jimyounkin. Due to it's ease-of-use I will likely be doing livestreams a few times a week if I have access to my PC. Topics will vary.
What Will Go?
You expect the following things to go near-dormant for the duration of the next two months. Whether they will come back after is yet to be determined.
- Youtube. While I may post videos on YouTube during the break they will likely be few and far between.
- The Power Word: Gold TV (show). While still in it's infancy, my 4-times-a-week livestream/show will take a break (hopefully to return after my break).
- The Power Word: Gold TV. This section of the blog will likely not be updated during the break. You can still use the useful "video wall" there to see who might be streaming.
- Power Word: Games. This section of PW:G may never see the light of day again, although if I end up doing some fun non-WoW livestreams it may get a few more posts.
- Power Word: Gold Diablo. This will likely stay dormant until after the break.
- Power Word: Gold TOR. This section of the blog will likely not ever be updated.
- Power Word: Gold Guide Free. This section will not likely be updated.
- The Power Word: Gold Hatchery. This section will likely not be updated unless entries are received that are fairly simple to post.
- The Power Word: Gold Chronicle. This section will not likely get updated during the break and may not after. I love this section but struggle to find time to maintain it.
- The World Of Warcraft Gold Blog Directory. This will not likely get updated during the break.
- Community Gold-Making Milestones. This will not likely get updated during the break.
Why Do You Want To Leave Us?
So you might be asking yourself why I'd want to do something as silly as slow-down what I've been doing if I want to make this succeed as a money making venture? Well, the truth is that having all the money in the world doesn't really mean much if you lose everything that is important to you while stuggling to obtain it.
While we all absolutely love World of Warcraft, there are times when we all need to realize that there is still a "real world" out there and sometimes we have to go off and pay attention to those things that are ultimately most important.
I may be spending less time with all of you throughout the next two months, but I am doing so to ensure that we can continue our relationship in the long run. We are all made up of lots of different roles in our life. Some of those may include father, brother, son, uncle, husband and so on. A person who can play each of them well, without doing so to the detriment of the others, will ultimately be of more use to all those around them than someone who focuses only on one.
You're Doing This To Make Us Feel Bad For You!
Not at all. I've worked hard at making Power Word: Gold what it is today. I've done so almost single-handedly and am proud of what I've been able to build so far. By saying that my monetization efforts are falling short of what I would want/need, I'm not trying to make anyone feel any way about me.
If I've been one thing, I think I've been straightforward with everyone every step of the way as I've worked on transitioning the blog from a simple blog into something that provides enough value for others to hand over their hard earned money. If I fail, then at least I've failed in an honest way.
The bottom line is this two-month break is as much about making Power Word: Gold strong as it is about making sure that I'm taking care of all the "real-life" responsibilities.
What Can We Expect For the Next 8 Weeks?
You can expect that, while I'll be around, I won't be around as much as you may have grown accustomed to in the last 6 months or so. That said I'll still be playing WoW. Still making gold and still writing blog posts for PW:G. I'll just be doing so in a more "low-power" way.
If you have any questions about anything I've stated above please feel free to let me know in the comments section below and I'll be seeing you here and there for the next 8 weeks.
Like this post? Get even more Power Word: Gold - Purchase our 100-Page Illustrated Gold Guide, subscribe via RSS, subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes or RSS, follow us on Twitter, "Circle" us on Google+, "Like" us on Facebook, subscribe via Youtube and join us on reddit.
Buy The Power Word: Gold Guide Volume I: Addons (With TradeSkillMaster Info.)
Today's guest post was written by Ohnekase from the gold-making blog Meet Ohnekase . You can also follow them on twitter at @WowOhn...
(Today's guest post was written by Animadnb. If you would like your gold-making guest post featured on Power Word: Gold please submit...
I decided to have some fun with the exported data you can get from the Resources > Data Export page on WoWuction ( example page ). ...
With the recent news that Activision Blizzard is buying back a controlling interest from Vivendi it was also made known that the curr...
We've created a tool for creating importable TradeSkillMaster (TSM) groups from almost any webpage that includes links to World of...
Gold-Making Blog Roll
- December (15)
- November (14)
- October (3)
- August (2)
- July (9)
- June (1)
- April (6)
- March (16)
- February (15)
- January (10)
- December (11)
- November (11)
- October (14)
- September (10)
- August (13)
- July (30)
- June (22)
- May (26)
- April (32)
- March (17)
- February (18)
- January (23)
- December (19)
- November (2)
- October (11)
- September (13)
- August (13)
- July (14)
- June (14)
- May (11)
- April (13)
- Beverly Hills, Baltimore and Baghdad - Server Make...
- WoW Gold-making: Morning routine, etc. 3.25.12
- Early-Morning Gold-Making Routine 3.26.12 Livestre...
- Behind the Scenes: Editing Episode 31 of the Podca...
- The Power Word: Gold Podcast - Episode 031
- Livestream Recording: Late Night Gold-Making Routi...
- The Power Word: Gold Guide - Fully Updated For Tra...
- Countdown To My "One Month, One Toon" Challenge En...
- "One Month, One Toon" Challenge Update: Day 29
- Going Into "Low Power" Mode for 2 Months
- Selling 77-80 Cata Gear To Scroll of Resurrection ...
- The Power Word: Gold Podcast - Episode 030
- February (17)
- January (11)
- Battle Pets
- Warlords of Draenor