Busy, Busy, Busy - Lots going on. So much to do and so little time. Gold Update Finally decided to buy a Swift Spectral Tiger. It’s been on my shopping list for a while now...
The "One Month, One Toon" Challenge
I'm what you might call an "alt-aholic". I love toons. Toons, toons and more toons. I have ten level 85 characters on my main server. I have far more than ten alts of various levels scattered over various servers. IN gold-making it is often very advantageous to have such a set up. Having multiple toons with multiple professions is a very solid strategy.
There is something, however, that I think I may have lost in my race to "have all the toons" and that is focus. Perhaps it is all the time I've been spending in Outlands reminiscing about "the good old days". Perhaps it is seeing people struggle to make gold with just one or two characters.
Mainly I just want to feel the way I did about a singular character the way I did in The Burning Crusade. Whatever the reason, I've decided to create what I am calling the "One Month, One Toon" Challenge. Read on past the jump to see how I'll be spending my next 30 days in World of Warcraft.
So first off the "why" of the challenge. The main reason I am choosing to artificially restrict my self is to try experience what it is like to focus solely on one character, one set of professions and one chunk of play time.
While this isn't necessarily a gold-making challenge, I do think the time spent in the next month will help me learn more about what it is like to make gold when you are limited to just a few professions and are able to focus on them exclusively.
That said, you don't have to be a gold-maker to partake in this challenge. Indeed the challenge has no criteria other than to experience what it is like to have a singular character you play for an entire month.
The "One Month, One Toon" Challenge consists of playing only one single character on my main server for 30 days straight.
The Rules of the Challenge
The following are the rules I will be following for the next 30 days, starting February 18, 2012 and ending March 18, 2012. These are my rules. Feel free to tailor them to yourself as long as you stick to the spirit of the challenge. I reserve the right to change the rules or simply give up and quit like a little baby at any time.
I am allowed 24 hours from the beginning of the "One Toon, One Month" Challenge to prepare all of my other toons on my main server for "cold storage" for the month. This includes:
- Cancelling all current auctions as well as not putting any new auctions up.
- Mailing any items I want my main character to have for the month including items to be auctioned off, used in any way, etc.
- Clearing out all main in their mailboxes.
- Adding any items to a guild bank that my main toon has access to for the month.
- Sending any gold that my main toon will use to my main toon.
- Doing anything else that may be required for 30 days of not being able to log in.
I will also allow for "emergency" access to my alts in the case that someone (other than myself) needs something that only my alt can give them/provide etc. Basically alts are not to be touched unless there is a very VERY good reason. (Guild master duties, guild bank maintenance, etc.) Since I am only in a guild with myself and my wife this shouldn't happen.
Alternate Server Exemptions
I am allowed to play characters on servers OTHER than my main server under a few strict conditions:
- If I am leveling up a character that my wife asks me to level with her I am allowed to play a character on another server. This is for leveling only and I am not allowed to make gold on that off-server alt.
- If I am asked to play with off-server friends on off-server alts I am allowed to play with them. I am not allowed to use these alts for gold-making purposes.
- If there is another compelling reason such as recording a livestream of an event for a friend of helping a reader on their server I am allowed to make/play a character on an different server from my main. However these alts are to be used for the specific purpose they are intended and not at any other times.
- I am not allowed to log onto purely gold-making alts on any other server. The same "cold-storage" preparation and conditions as stated above for my main server alts apply to off-server gold-making alts.
- I am allowed to log onto off-server alts that are guild-leaders of off-server guilds to socialize and perform guild maintenance like guild invites, guild permissions, guild conflict resolution, etc. I am not allowed to level these toons or use them for gold-making. Only what is required to maintain the guild properly.
Alternate Character Exceptions
The following are reason that I will allow for logging onto main-server alts:
- Producing content for the Power Word: Gold blog including, but not limited to, taking screenshots, looking up professions recipes, testing theories, etc.(As long as it is really for a post and not just "messing around".)
The Main Server Rules
The following are the main server rules I will be following. These are the most important part of the challenge for me. This will determine how effective the challenge will be at simulating a "single-toon" experience.
For some players (those who only have a few toons) this part of the challenge may seem like child's play. To a player like me however, who has had so many alts for so long, this will be the hardest part. Here are the most important rules:
- I am only allowed to log into my main character on my main server for the entire 30 days of the challenge. All other characters essentially do not exist. Pretend they disappeared. Gone. Poof. Bye bye.
- I am allowed to perform any sorts of gold-making that I can using only my one character. If I need something crafted, smelted, enchanted etc. I will have to find another player to help me. This may be a guild member, a friend, etc.
- Anything I can do on my toon, I should do on my toon. This may include finishing up achievements, doing archaeology, PVPing, Dungeons, LFR, gold-making, farming old instances, etc. I really need take advantage of the fact that I will only be playing a single toon for the entire month and will have lots of time with the toon.
- Take time to learn the professions that this character has. In my case my hunter has Engineering and Enchanting. Having more time to explore them should give me some great additional insights into the professions that I simply had the time to learn because I've never been able to focus so much. I'm looking forward to exploring my recipe books and digging for new ways to make gold with them.
- Spend time going back to places in the world you I have forgotten about, or not been to in a while. Take time to stop and smell the roses.
- Enjoy myself. I have much more time to devote to my character now. This challenge, while intended to be challenging, is also intended to be enjoyable.
- If I freak out and can't stand doing the challenge any more, give it a few days and then I can quit and/or modify my challenge.
I'll be playing the game as if I only have one character for 30 days and learning all I can from the experience.
So this is what I'll be doing starting today. I expect that today will be a bit busy getting all my alt's auctions cancelled and a few items shuffled into various places and banks (mostly my mogging stock). After that I don't really know what to expect.
It has been literally years since I only had a single character to care about/focus on. I'm actually looking forward to getting started. As the month goes on I will be providing updates as to how the challenge is going. Most likely you will hear plenty about it and if you watch my livestreams see plenty of my hunter in the next month.
Are you up to the Challenge?
Are you swimming in alts? Does the "One Month, One Toon" Challenge sound like something you'd be interested in participating in? If so let me know in the comments below. I'd love to hear about your experiences as you go throughout 30 days only playing one single character.
If you don't have a blog and would like to write about the gold-making aspects of your experiences during your "One Month, One Toon" Challenge, you might consider submitting your posts to The Power Word: Gold Hatchery. Details on how to submit posts to The Hatchery are included on the site.
Like this post? Get even more Power Word: Gold - Purchase our 100-Page Illustrated Gold Guide, subscribe via RSS, subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes or RSS, follow us on Twitter, "Circle" us on Google+, "Like" us on Facebook, subscribe via Youtube and join us on reddit.
Buy The Power Word: Gold Guide Volume I: Addons (With TradeSkillMaster Info.)
(Today's guest post was written by Animadnb. If you would like your gold-making guest post featured on Power Word: Gold please submit...
Today's guest post was written by Ohnekase from the gold-making blog Meet Ohnekase . You can also follow them on twitter at @WowOhn...
With the recent news that Activision Blizzard is buying back a controlling interest from Vivendi it was also made known that the curr...
I decided to have some fun with the exported data you can get from the Resources > Data Export page on WoWuction ( example page ). ...
We've created a tool for creating importable TradeSkillMaster (TSM) groups from almost any webpage that includes links to World of...
Gold-Making Blog Roll
- December (15)
- November (14)
- October (3)
- August (2)
- July (9)
- June (1)
- April (6)
- March (16)
- February (15)
- January (10)
- December (11)
- November (11)
- October (14)
- September (10)
- August (13)
- July (30)
- June (22)
- May (26)
- April (32)
- March (17)
- February (18)
- January (23)
- December (19)
- November (2)
- October (11)
- September (13)
- August (13)
- July (14)
- June (14)
- May (11)
- April (13)
- March (12)
- "One Month, One Toon" Challenge Update: Day 11
- Setting Up The TSM "Add Items by ItemID" Alpha Fea...
- Open Reader Question: Does Realm Size Matter?
- How To Reset Your NPCScan Cache
- Keelhaul's Proudmoore Transmog Fashion Show Livest...
- The "One Month, One Toon" Challenge
- Setting Up TradeSkillMaster To Sell Mogging Items
- The Power Word: Gold Podcast - Episode 029
- Livestreaming Is Too Much Fun! (20+ Hours Inside)
- Quick Tip: One-Pulling Hellfire Ramparts For Moggi...
- The Power Word: Gold Podcast - Episode 028
- Power Word: Gold Now Available In (Nearly) Every L...
- Ding! Power Word: Gold Turns One
- How To Farm Gold and Lovely Charms in Deepholm
- The Fastest Way To Farm Lovely Charms - Throne of ...
- Engineering Love During Love Is In The Air
- The Problematic Possibilities of Leather Mogging I...
- January (11)
- Battle Pets
- Warlords of Draenor