In this week's episode we discuss how we've been making gold this week, advice for working the glyph market, how to make gold with limited play time, interview gold blogger Gimp and much more. And now, on with the show!
Embedded Player - Episode 010:
[iTunes] Subscribe to the Power Word: Podcast directly in iTunes.
[RSS] Add the Power Word: Podcast to your RSS aggregator.
[MP3] Download the MP3 directly.
[M3U] [MP3 via M3U] Stream the Episode.
[Archive.org] View this Episode's page on Archive.org.
(Note: If you have any issues with the embedded player (or listening to the podcast in general) please let us know.)
Full show notes after the jump.
Episode 010 Show Notes
- The Power Word: Gold Podcast: Episode 010 was recorded Saturday May 21, 2011.
- You can find podcasts by selecting "Podcast" in our top navigation bar, selecting the "Podcasts" tag in our tag cloud in the side bar, subscribing on iTunes or via our Podcast-only RSS feed.
- Previous Podcasts
- 01:29 Thanks to Auction House Junkies for the shout outs. Check out Auction House Junkies Episode #9
- 01:59 Thanks to A2A for letting flux lurk on the last episode. Check out Addicted to Azeroth Podcast Episode 05 - I Just Grabbed A Chunk Of Velveeta And Ate It Like An Apple.
- 05:36 Thanks again to Nev from Auction House Addict for being our guest on Episode 009. It was an honor.
- 06:02 How flux has been making gold this week:
- 06:27 Cataclysm green items have been selling well. With less levelers the items that are found as drops are more valuable to those just starting to play the game again.
- 07:32 Splitting my 4 alchemist's daily transmutes. 2 are doing Volatile Life into Volatile Air (via Transmute: Living Elements done in Uldum) and 2 are doing Transmute: Truegold to stock up for patch 4.2. Thanks again Gimp!
- 09:22 Twilight Leg Armor and Scorched Leg Armor have been selling well. Easy mats and low competition.
- 09:57 Dragon's Eyes (obtained via Icy Prism) selling well even thought they are from Wrath of the Lich King.
- 10:33 Electrified Ether and Handful of Obsidium Bolts remain strong sellers.
- 11:32 Heavy Savage Leather selling. I never under-price it yet it still sells.
- 12:21 Dalaran pets (Obsidian Hatchling, Calico Cat and Albino Snake) starting to finally pick up as sellers thanks to the announcement of the new pet Nuts for the Littlest Pet Shop (150 pets) achievement.
- 13:10 Twilight Highlands food used in the Cataclysmically Delicious achievement still selling well.
- 14:01 How Jokine has been making gold this week:
- Getting back heavily into the glyph market. Cancelling and re-posting while playing other games. DOn't bother to cancel and re-post if 3 or more competitors are online.
- 15:04 Raw Ember Topaz selling 40g each.
- 15:55 Thorium Bars and Mithril Bars from leveling mining.
- 16:25 Heavenly Shards were going for 80g each.
- 16:29 flux has been farming and selling Frostweave Cloth for good prices on which ever faction has better prices.
- 16:57 Cut rare Cataclysm gems. Don't overlook them. Have at least a few cuts for each color.
- 18:11 Which cuts does Jokine sell?
- Inferno Rubies (Red): Delicate Inferno Ruby (Agility), Brilliant Inferno Ruby (Intellect).
- Ember Topaz (Orange): Deadly Ember Topaz (Agility + Crit), Fierce Ember Topaz (Strength + Haste).
- Demonseye (Purple): Veiled Demonseye (Intellect + Hit), Glinting Demonseye (Agility + Hit).
- Amberjewel (Yellow): Mystic Amberjewel (Resilience), Fractured Amberjewel (Mastery), Smooth Amberjewel (Crit).
- Ocean Sapphire (Blue): Rigid Ocean Sapphire (Hit), Stormy Ocean Sapphire (Spell Pen.), Solid Ocean Sapphire (Stamina).
- 21:47 If you haven't got into cross-faction trading you are missing out on some great opportunities. You can sometimes resurrect old accounts for 7 days for free to try out cross-faction trading.
- 22:52 Sold (1) Enchant Chest - Greater Stamina for 1000g (500g profit).
- 23:55 BREAK - The Dread Pirate Felt listens to the Power Word: Gold Podcast! Arrr!
- 25:05 How to be efficient while cancelling and re-posting large numbers of auctions.
- All about your play time and the competition on your server.
- As much as possible have one centralized character to do the bulk of your cancelling and re-posting.
- 26:34 Learn the times your competition posts. If the competition it too thick back off. No need to force it.
- 27:47 Question from reader "One Sweet Mullet" about how to handle a heavily camped glyph market.
- 29:04 Get creative in finding ways to integrate canceling and re-posting into other activities.
- 29:49 If you are getting undercut within minutes of posting consider putting in a GM ticket reporting the character as a bot. I they are not a bot there is no harm and if they are you can get rid of them as competition by getting them banned.
- 32:47 Keep your expectations for how much gold you can make with glyphs in line with how much time you have to camp the auction house.
- 33:59 Don't leave the market if you get frustrated but be sure to diversify and move into new markets.
- 34:25 Be sure to have the "Show Auctions" button pressed while cancelling and re-posting to learn your competition's names.
- 24:42 Put their names into your server/faction page search at The Undermine Journal and analyze their "Post Activity Heat Map" for times they may not be online and posting.
- Always always put you competitors on your friends list. Use asciitable.com to help find Windows alt-codes if the character uses uncommon symbols in their name. (Hold Alt+type the number on your keypad then release Alt.)
- Another way to get character names with symbols is to use Prat addon to copy and paste after /who them.
- Use SLDataText to see where your "friends" are with a simple mouse-over.
- 43:13 flux tries to explain the awesomeness of the "Mullet".
- 44:30 Finnish word of the Week #1: "Takatukka" - "Back-hair", "Mullet" or "Hockey Hair". Business up the front. Party in the back!
- Use your time efficiently. Don't work "like a robot" or you'll burn yourself out.
- 48:41 - Where will the new patterns in patch 4.2 come from?
- flux uses feedler on his iPhone to keep up on his RSS reading.
- 49:49 The post "JC in 4.2" on Foo's WoW Musings lead flux to find the Wowhead comment.
- 50:29 A comment on the Wowhead PTR page for Luxurious Silk Gem Bag by Wowhead poster Geo101 states the recipe comes from a vendor lucked behind the new Patch 4.2 Firelands daily quests.
- 52:31 Supposedly the recipe can be purchased after you've completed the Filling the Moonwell quest in Firelands.
- 55:58 If you have a crafter who you are expecting to make any of the new Patch 4.2 recipes make sure they are level 85 and have completed the entire My. Hyjal quest chain. flux found the level 85 requirement in this Blizzard forum post after the podcast.
- 59:53 BREAK - You might be a gold-maker if...
- 1:00:56 Interview with Gimp from Gimps Golden Adventure.
- Can you give us a bit of your history with gold-making and World of Warcraft in general?
- 1:07:40 You can get a hold of Gimp on twitter (@GimpsGold) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- 1:09:52 Do you have any advice for players who don't feel like they have enough time to devote to gold-making?
- 1:10:45 If you don't need much gold find ways to integrate gold-making into activities you already do in-game.
- 1:13:20 Sell everything.
- 1:13:40 If you're serious about making gold look into "consistent" and "slow" markets on your server. Things that sell every day.
- 1:15:16 Consider subscribing to the World of Warcraft remote auction house to post auctions from your smart phone or web browser.
- 1:16:41 Keep things simple and get knowledge.
- 1:19:22 If you play on a US realm you can use The Undermine Journal to find mat prices vs. material costs for every item to make sure you'll make gold off of it.
- 1:20:51 To see how flux sets up material/item comparison spread sheets see "Calculating Maelstrom Crystal Price Vs. Engineering Goggle Price".
- 1:21:40 For non-US realms BankAlt.com allows you to type in material costs from your own auction house scan and get total material cost which you can compare to the item prices from your auction house.
- 1:23:52 "Slow" markets are items that sell consistently but much less often than "consistent" markets. You don't have to "babysit" slow markets.
- 1:26:46 Gimp welcomes questions from anyone. Their blog is Gimps Golden Adventure and you can get a hold of them on twitter (@GimpsGold) and email (email@example.com).
- 1:27:20 BREAK - Even Royalty listen to the Power Word: Gold Podcast
- 1:28:07 Digging into Patch 4.2 PTR information on Wowhead's PRT site.
- Glyph of Unleashed Lightning - Allows Lightning Bolt to be cast while moving.
- 1:28:27 New pet Nuts (squirrel). Comes for the Littlest Pet Shop (150 pets) achievement.
- 1:29:32 Magical Pet Biscuit reward for the Petting Zoo (100 pets) and Menagerie (125 pets) achievements.
- 1:30:15 Epic item Masterwork Elementium Spellblade. This Wowhead comment by LoKHor indicates "The pattern is Bind on Pickup and will be vendor bought at the new Firelands hub." which matches the earlier comment about the Jewelcrafting Bag recipe.
- 1:32:16 Congrats to Mrs. flux who got a Reins of the Green Proto-Drake from a Satchel of Exotic Mysteries from healing a Call to Arms dungeon. This shows that the mounts aren't only ones from dungeons but also faction mounts as well.
- 1:32:33 @HWoodLockhart (AKA Hollywood) let us know they received a Captured Firefly from a Satchel of Exotic Mysteries and sold it on the auction house for 4.2k gold. This pet is a rare drop from a world mob so even those pets may be in the satchel it seems. Here is a list of all items Wowhead shows as coming from the bag.
- 1:33:38 Shoutouts
- Comments: Altolycus (from ALTOs Goldish Advice), Kathroman and GrayzBDF (from WoW or Gold).
- Facebook: (Listen to these shoutouts on the podcast audio.)
- 1:36:36 Twitter: @AltosGold (from ALTOs Goldish Advice), @jimmydargocey, @SSmith0911 (from Cold's Gold Factory), @Brejapriest (from What a Long, Strange Game This Is...), @NevAHAddict (from Auction House Addict), @thegoldqueen (from The Gold Queen), @thriftydraenei (from Herding Elekks), @eiddor, @XanderEragon (from Xander's Gold Mine), @msherretz, @HazelWoW, @HWoodLockhart (AKA "Hollywood"...still Detective), SeniorJeffe, @MoiriWoW, @breakthebankwow (Break the Bank), @GimpsGold (from Gimps Golden Adventure) and @rachel_ka (from Diary of sklyanka. On the way to a million. (Russian)).
- 1:37:37 Recent Additions to the World Of Warcraft Gold Blog Directory: BigNick's Guide To Gold, Shikari's AH, How to earn gold in World of Warcraft! (Russian), Herding Elekks.
- 1:38:35 The World Of Warcraft Gold Making Glossary is in its early stages of development. If you don't find a term you are looking for or have a suggested addition to the Glossary let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1:41:31 Posts of the Week
- 1:41:54 "Setting Up TradeSkillMaster Groups - A Beginner's Guide Video"
- 1:42:31 "The Power Word: Gold Podcast - Episode 009"
- l:42:53 "The
"Treasure Potion Trash Dash" Challenges You!" (See also
Potion Trash Dash" at Herding Elekks,
Potion Trash Dash" Entry for PW:G" at ALTOs Goldish
- 1:47:41 "Flipping Cataclysm Epic Items Is Legit" AKA "Flipping Epics is Legit".
- 1:49:31 Reader Question by Ruse (Bronze Dragonflight EU): How do you move from a casual gold-maker to a gold-capped player?
- Open your eyes and expand into more markets.
- It will have to devote more time to gold-making.
- You need more crafting alts.
- Building an army of crafting alts is a worthwhile investment.
- Consider mining and herbing while waiting for dungeon of battleground queues if power leveling.
- 1:57:20 Finnish word of the Week #2 "jauheliha": minced meat.
Like this post? Get even more Power Word: Gold: Subscribe via our RSS Feed. Subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes or Podcast RSS Feed. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook. Subscribe on Youtube. Join us on reddit.
MP3 link for feed: