In this week's episode we discuss how we've been making gold this week, recent datamined Patch 4.2 information, what we're stockpiling for Patch 4.2 recipes, interview gold blogger Nev (Auction House Addict) and much more. And now, on with the show!
Embedded Player - Episode 009:
[iTunes] Subscribe to the Power Word: Podcast directly in iTunes.
[RSS] Add the Power Word: Podcast to your RSS aggregator.
[MP3] Download the MP3 directly.
[M3U] [MP3 via M3U] Stream the Episode.
[Archive.org] View this Episode's page on Archive.org.
(Note: If you have any issues with the embedded player or listening to the podcast in general please let us know.)
Full show notes after the jump.
Episode 009 Show Notes
- The Power Word: Gold Podcast: Episode 009 was recorded Saturday May 14, 2011.
- You can find podcasts by selecting "Podcast" in our top navigation bar, selecting the "Podcasts" tag in our tag cloud in the side bar, subscribing on iTunes or via our Podcast-only RSS feed.
- Previous Podcasts
- 3:38 What we've been doing in gold-making this week: flux
- Farming/selling Blackened Dragonscales for 17-19g each.
- Vendor recipes from Booty Bay/Outlands. Average 19g each.
- Dust of Disappearance. Started strong but competition has tanked the price. (See "Crafting Dust of Disapperance, Yes, Crafting" on Just My Two Copper.
- Fathom Eel selling for 5g each. Fished up around Tol Barad.
- Large Brilliant Shards selling for 24-30g each. Farmed from Upper and Lower Blackrock Spire.
- Infinite Dust (Wrath of the Lich King) selling higher than Hypnotic Dust (Cataclysm).
- Recipe: Savory Deviate Delight bought for 3g on Horde and sold for 200-300g on Alliance.
- Handful of Obsidium Bolts and Electrified Ether still very strong selling Engineering items.
- Companion pets Obsidian Hatchling and Calico Cat (both purchased from Breanni in Dalaran) have been selling well for the first time in months.
- Flipped the epic ilevel 359 item Dragonkiller Tunic (crafted by Leatherworking) purchased from trade chat for 3,250g and sold for 5,200g.
- 09:58 If the epic item you are trying to flip is a world-drop it is much more rare and you should consider holding out for a higher price (compared to crafted epics).
- Companion pets sold by Dealer Rashaad in Netherstorm and moths sold by Sixx in Exodar have sold decently.
- 10:45 Heavenly Shards are selling for great prices right now. If you are an enchanter with the level 23 guild perk Bountiful Bags buy lower/equal priced blue 83+ items (compared to Heavenly Shard prices) and disenchant them for a chance to proc an extra Heavenly Shard.
- 13:15 If you have the guild level 23 perk Bountiful Bags (or know an enchanter who has it) consider buying Heroic Zul'Aman and Zul'Gurub epics that are priced the at the same level as Maelstrom Crystals and disenchanting them to try to get an extra Maelstrom Crystal to proc.
- 13:50 If you are an enchanter with the guild level 23 perk Bountiful Bags (or run dungeons with one) always roll "greed" on epic items instead of "disenchant". Bountiful Bags procs only work on items in your bags and not from the group roll UI. By disenchanting the items you've won with "greed" you have a chance to proc an extra Maelstrom Crystal.
- 14:44 What we've been doing in gold-making this week: Jokine
- Mysterious Fortune Cards. Making around 1000g per day.
- Enchant Bracer - Major Strength enchanting scroll. Mats: 500-600. Sold for double that price.
- Enchant Off-Hand - Superior Intellect enchanting scroll is a good seller.
- Selling jewelcrafting daily gems (Nightstone, Zephyrite and Jasper).
- Sold around 60 Ember Topaz (transmuted from Hessonites and Cinderbloom).
- Shadowspirit Diamond meta gems.
- Stockpiling Pyrite Ore for epic gem speculation.
- Cut Inferno Rubies. Bold Inferno Ruby (Strength) selling for least. Delicate Inferno Ruby (Agility) is priced highest followed by Brilliant Inferno Ruby (Intellect).
- Selling Demonseye (transmuted from Nightstone and Twilight Jasmine) when prices are high.
- Amani Hex Sticks. Purchased for 20g sold for 70g . (Used for the Hex Mix achievement.)
- 24:52 Flux's story about solo farming the Sealed Scroll Case as a hunter in Heroic Zul'Aman.
- Glyphs selling slowed a lot.
Rod and Titanium
- 27:26 What we've been doing in gold-making this week: Nev
- "Glyphs all the way".
- Mysterious Fortune Cards.
- All 2 cuts of Inferno Rubies.
- New Meta gem cuts: Agile Shadowspirit Diamond (+54 Agility and 3% Increased Critical Damage), Burning Shadowspirit Diamond (+54 Intellect and 3% Increased Critical Damage) and Reverberating Shadowspirit Diamond (+54 Strength and 3% Increased Critical Damage).
- Chocolate Cookies! (Used in the "You'll Feel Right as Rain" achievement.) Made with Cocoa Beans purchased with daily cooking tokens made on alts.)
- Leatherworking: "Bloodied
Leather" Agility PVP sets.
- Epic flipping: Quickfinger Ring (Agility and Expertise) bought got 850s sold for 1500g.
- Selling Inferno Inks for 65g each.
- Arcanite Bars selling for 15g each.
- Deepstone Oil. Posting them in singles to fill in gaps for people purchasing 8 to craft the Vial of the Sands.
- Cataclysm cooking materials and foods. Dragon Flank, Basilisk "Liver", etc.
- 39:30 Selling vendor food for the achievement "Cataclysmically Delicious". Many can be purchased from Innkeeper Francis and Innkeeper Teresa (near the Alliance portal to Twilight Highlands). (See also "Setting Up TradeSkillMaster Groups - A Beginner's Guide Video" which shows the location of these two NPCs.)
- Scalding Murglesnout may be a good seller if there is no competition.
- Low-level Leatherworking items like Barbaric Bracers, Toughened Leather Gloves for twinks.
- 43:13 BREAK - Kaja'Cola: "Ideas Are Money Friend!"
- 43:58 Interview with Nev from the Auction House Addict blog.
- Nev's Twitter: @NevAHAddict.
- 45:02 How did you get into playing World of Warcraft?
- 46:31 How did you get started blogging about making gold?
- 50:92 What are some of your favorite areas of gold-making?
- 51:17 Would you consider yourself one of the biggest glyph sellers on your server?
- 52:50 What techniques do you use to maintain viability in the glyph market?
- 57:44 What do you have your TradeSkillMaster price settings at for your glyphs?
- 1:02:53 BREAK - Jokine: "The most not-gold-capped player in the world."
- 1:03:53 News from the PTR is that cut gems will stack in 20's. How will this effect the markets?
- New Jewelcrafting bags (made from Dreamcloth) become much less important and therefore much less valuable.
- Able to keep lots of gems in bags and not on alt or guild banks.
- As it is gems are often kept raw to adjust to market prices faster.
- May be posting more cut purple and orange gems due to ease of posting and less bag space issues.
- Inferno Rubie cuts may be one to store in bulk because they
sell so quickly.
- 1:11:12 What Amberjewel do you sell? Fractured Amberjewel (Mastery) and Smooth Amberjewel (Critical Strike).
- 1:13:49 What to stockpile with the recent datamined recipes from Patch 4.2?
- Elementium Ore (for smelting Hardened Elementium Bars).
- Volatile Fire, Volatile Water, Volatile Earth and Volatile Life. The prices for Volatiles will go up. Pick them up while the prices are low due to low demand.
- Do your daily transmute of Truegold as new patterns use them.
- Store up at least 2000 Honor in preparation for buying new
the PVP patterns early. You don't want to have to build up the
Honor while others are making money selling them.
- Embersilk Cloth (to make cloth PVP items).
- Heavy Savage Leather (to make leather/mail PVP items).
- Blackened Dragonscales. Supplies are low now and will be even lower later which means high prices.
- Try to craft and sell Hardened Elementium Bars right as the patch happens. Store the mats as Elementium Ore for now so you can prospect it if the market never goes up.
- You can use cheap Volatile Life to transmute into which ever Volatile you are in need of at the moment.
- Sending a big "pack" of materials that get passed from alchemist to alchemist is a quick way to handle coordination for Truegold transmutes.
- 1:23:35 3If you think you are going to be getting any new tailoring recipes that use Dreamcloth make sure to stockpile as much Dreamcloth as you can.
- 1:25:54 flux hopes some of the new recipes will come from vendors unlocked in the Firelands dailies in Patch 4.2.
- 1:30:19 Jokine talks about how much he "loves" dailies.
- 1:31:55 Nev talks about how she got her first epic mount. (Hint: She's smart and very lucky with RNG.)
- 1:34:18 Jokine confesses his "secret shame" to the world.
- 1:36:05 "Grandpa flux" tells these young whipper-snappers what it was like "back in the day".
- 1:38:17 Question from Vergadin the Dwarf about what to do with Lich King gems created from Icy Prisms.
- Cut and vendor overstocked rares if your auction house price is below 5g.
- Keep them up on the auction house for leveling Jewelcrafters.
- Search WoWHead for other possible uses.
- If you've prospected Saronite to get the uncommons use the 2 colors not used in the Icy Prism to make/disenchant Crystal Citrine Necklace, Bloodstone Band, Crystal Chalcedony Amulet (if you have Chalcedonies you aren't needing for Icy Prisms) and the Sun Rock Ring. These disenchant into Infinite Dust and Lesser Cosmic Essence.
- You can transmute Lich King epic gems if your alchemist isn't doing Cataclysm daily transmutes.
- Mining Cobalt Ore is still a good way to make gold.
- 1:49:53 BREAK - Parachute Cloak: "When you need slow fall and you need it NOW!"
- 1:47:56 Shout outs!
- Commenters - Faid (from Nerf Faids), Shannon, Cort.
- Twitter - @GimpsGold
(from Gimps Golden
(from Auction House
Goldish Advice) @msherretz, @SSmith0911
Gold Factory), @amerencelovewow (from Amerence Love WoW),
(from Bangkok Bill's World of
Goldcraft), @XanderEragon (from Xander's Gold Mine),
- New Blogs on the World Of Warcraft Gold Blog Directory - Achieve Commitment.
- Special shout out to Stokpile from Stokpile who announced in the post "Going to rift" that they won't be blogging about World of Warcraft gold anymore. We wish them the best and hope they know they were a great influence and will be dearly missed.
- 1:54:29 Posts of the Week - Power Word: Gold
- The Power Word: Gold Podcast - Episode 008
- Auction House Basics: Auctionator Shopping Lists
- Flux's Fireside Chat Video 2011.05.13
- 1:59:17 Posts of the Week - Auction House Addict
- Buy a shirt or hat (or both) from Nev's "WoW Word Tees" Zazzle shop.
- Buy a shirt or sticker from flux's "Power Word: Swag" Cafe Press shop.
- 2:09:42 Discussion: Is being "gold capped" the proper measure of a person's gold-making knowledge?
- 2:21:15 flux talks about the appeal of MMORPGs. How they create an environment where we are rewarded regularly for our efforts.
- 2:34:57 MP3 Gold Making Tips - GrayzBDF (from WoW or Gold) talks
about combining farming with mining and herbalism while hunting
for rare spawns in Vashj'ir.
- How are you preparing for Patch 4.2?
- Who would you like to see as a guest on the podcast?
- What questions would you like answered on the podcast?
Like this post? Get even more Power Word: Gold: Subscribe via our RSS Feed. Subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes or Podcast RSS Feed. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook. Subscribe on Youtube. Join us on reddit.
MP3 link for feed: