Making Gold IRL, Legion and More - A big part of the reason I decided to focus on making gold is that many of the skills and experiences can be used in the real world. It isn’t a direct cl...
Middlecutting in the Glyph Market
As a former glyph rockstar turned jaded glyph dropout I thought I'd share a bit of my most recent attempt at glyph catharsis: middlecutting.
I talked a bit about this on this last Friday's JMTC weekly meeting I thought I'd take some time to further explain the idea. I recommend it to anyone with any built up glyph-rage.
While re-listing my glyphs for what seemed like the billionth time it dawned on me. Why am I mindlessly trying to sell glyphs for 200g when 98% of the time I'm getting undercut over and over again?
Why am I playing their game? Perhaps it is time for them to play MY game.
The general idea behind "middlecutting" is to price glyphs low enough to annoy big sellers but high enough to continue to make some sort of profit.
If it was on a scale middle cutting would happen about here:
Mat Cost (9g?) [----------X---------------------] Highest price (220g?)
The middlecut price is low enough to be irritating to the seller but high enough to still make profit. Profit is actually secondary to the the pain and annoyance. A side bonus.
|Good candidates for middlecutting.|
I'll list my glyph for 77 gold. If the glyph is selling for 76 gold I'll middlecut to 37 gold. I continue this cycle until the glyph price is driven into the ground completely.
I don't do this to ALL glyphs. I only middle cut about 10 or so at a time. Once they sell I leave a particular glyph alone. It needs time for the seller to work the price back up.
When I start a new round of middlecutting I pick the top 5-7 priced glyphs and start middle cutting them. I always want to be keeping the glyph seller on their toes. I want them to have to work.
If done correctly I think I could continue this for weeks and never middle cut the same glyph twice.
Once I do my middlecut one of three things are likely to happen.
1) They will cancel their glyphs and automatically under cut my 77 gold glyph.
2) They will buy my glyph out and try to flip it for 220g to maintain their high price.
3) Someone regular player will buy out my glyph for use on their character.
|Locked and loaded.|
In scenario 2 I've gained 77 gold as well as annoyed them. They now know they need to watch for other middlecuts. This may cause them to check their other auctions and buy out my other middlecuts as well.
Annoyance factor for this scenario rates quite high if they are trying to keep the price so high.
In scenario 3 I've earned 77 gold and made someone a happy customer for not having to pay high prices. The annoyance factor for this one may be low if the glyph seller never knew it was up. I've made profit though which is a good thing in today's cut-throat glyph market.
I want to say this again, middlecutting is not strategy for pure profit. It is an annoyance strategy wherein you get a bit or revenge on those who are able to watch the AH like a hawk.
That said I have been having success selling glyphs this way. The profit margins may be smaller but the number of sales per day is higher. Selling a glyph for 77 gold that I made for 9 gold is still a good money maker.
I'f you've been frustrated by the saturation of the glyph market on your server and would like a fun game to play with some of your spare time then give middlecutting a try. You may be surprised at the results.
- Do you ever engage in "auction house PVP"?
- Have you ever been on the receiving end of "middlecutting"?
- What is your favorite way to annoy other sellers?
Like this post? Get even more Power Word: Gold - Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook. Subscribe on Youtube. Join us on reddit.
Buy The Power Word: Gold Guide Volume I: Addons (With TradeSkillMaster Info.)
With the recent news that Activision Blizzard is buying back a controlling interest from Vivendi it was also made known that the curr...
(Today's guest post was written by Animadnb. If you would like your gold-making guest post featured on Power Word: Gold please submit...
Today's guest post was written by Ohnekase from the gold-making blog Meet Ohnekase . You can also follow them on twitter at @WowOhn...
I decided to have some fun with the exported data you can get from the Resources > Data Export page on WoWuction ( example page ). ...
We've created a tool for creating importable TradeSkillMaster (TSM) groups from almost any webpage that includes links to World of...
Gold-Making Blog Roll
- December (15)
- November (14)
- October (3)
- August (2)
- July (9)
- June (1)
- April (6)
- March (16)
- February (15)
- January (10)
- December (11)
- November (11)
- October (14)
- September (10)
- August (13)
- July (30)
- June (22)
- May (26)
- April (32)
- March (17)
- February (18)
- January (23)
- December (19)
- November (2)
- October (11)
- September (13)
- August (13)
- July (14)
- June (14)
- May (11)
- April (13)
- March (12)
- February (17)
- January (11)
- December (11)
- November (10)
- October (8)
- September (13)
- August (9)
- July (13)
- June (13)
- May (16)
- April (22)
- Making Gold Selling Alliance Cooking Recipes To Th...
- Maximizing Your Living Elements Daily Transmute
- The Power Word: Gold Podcast - Episode 002
- Middlecutting in the Glyph Market
- The Economics of Elementium Lockboxes
- The Power Word: Gold Podcast - Episode 001
- Project Goblin 000: A Gold-Making Guru Starts From...
- 4.1 Maelstrom Crystal Price Crash Imminent? A Link...
- Quickly Vendor Jewelcrafting Gems With The AutoVen...
- Weekly Recap: Gems, Recipes and Skeleton Keys
- Leaving Bait On The Table
- Capitalizing On The Post-Ban "Bump" (Now's The Tim...
- Auction House Basics: How To Cancel Auctions Effic...
- An Appeal To The Community: Help flux Buy Fraps!
- Gold-Making Classics: Formula: Runed Arcanite Rod
- Marking Your Competition (Literally)
- Obsidium Skeleton Keys: Gold Hiding Right On Our K...
- The Obsidium Shuffle: Heating Up or Winding Down?
- The Benefits of Economic Freedom (Or How I Got The...
- How I Made 5k Gold In Netherstorm
- Video Tutorial: Making and Selling Glyphs With the...
- How Leatherworking Helped Me Lose 18k Gold
- Getting Started as a Gold-Making Blogger
- Adding Up Your Total Worth
- February (20)
- Battle Pets
- Warlords of Draenor